Tuesday, June 16, 2009

FAQs part 3- all about China, adoption, travel

There is good news on the horizon. Many families with similar dates to ours have received notice that their TA will arrive this week!! While our potential travel dates wouldn’t change if we received our TA early, it does eliminate a lot of anxiety!



Why is ‘china doll’ considered to be taboo? This is a pretty serious topic in the world of adoptive parents. I had absolutely NO CLUE that the term was offensive until recently. Here’s why: Historically, the term ‘china doll’ was used to describe Asian prostitutes. Even today, if you google the term, many sexually related websites will appear.

Do you speak Mandarin? How will she understand you? No. We don’t speak Mandarin, and I am pretty sure that we don’t have enough time to learn! Fortunately, non-verbal communication is the primary means of communicating at this age. Nonetheless, we are studying some key phases like “Bu Ku” (don’t cry).

Do you get maternity leave for adoption? Yes. I think it is technically called ‘parental leave.’ And, I am very grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment